Since opening our compounding lab in 2002, we have been preparing customized medications for our clients and their pets.
We prepare custom medication compounds for adults and children in a variety of flavours and dosage forms. Whether for pain management, dermatological issues or hormone replacement therapy, our specially trained compounding technicians can make the right size, dose and form of medication for you and your family
For our furry and feathery patients, in consultation with their veterinarians, we also prepare custom medications in a variety of flavours, dosages and application methods to help you get them to take their medicine.
What is Compounding?
Compounding is the Art and Science of Creating customized Medications to meet the specific needs of each patient.
There is an ever- increasing demand for customizing medications, owing to limitations in strengths and dosage forms of commercially available products.
Compounded medications are made based on a practitioner’s prescription, in which individual ingredients are mixed together in the exact strength and dosage form required by the patient. This method allows our compounding professionals to work with the prescriber and the patient in order to achieve the optimal therapeutic outcome.
Compounding has been part of healthcare since the origins of pharmacy, and is widely used today in all areas of the industry, from hospitals to nuclear medicine. Over the last few decades, compounding’s resurgence has benefited largely from advances in technology, quality control and research methodology.
With your physician’s instructions, our compounding professionals can:
- Adjust the strength and formulas of medications
- Avoid unwanted ingredients, such as dyes, preservative, lactose, gluten, or sugar
- Add flavor to make the medication more palatable
- Prepare medications using unique delivery systems. For patients who find it difficult to swallow a capsule, a compounding pharmacist may prepare the drug as a flavored liquid suspension instead. Other medication forms include topical gels or creams that can be absorbed through the skin, suppositories, sublingual troches, or even lollipops.
What kinds of prescriptions can be compounded?
Almost any kind! Compounded prescriptions are ideal for any patient requiring unique dosages and/or delivery devices.
Compounding applications can include:
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT & Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy)
- Pain management
- Otic (for the ear)
- Medication flavoring
- Sports medicine
- Wound therapy
- And many more!
What Should You Look for in a Compounding Pharmacy?
Fact: Quality Compounding is absolutely critical in achieving optimal therapeutic outcomes.
- PCCA Membership: We are proud members of Professional Compounding centres of America (PCCA) giving you the assurance of receiving the finest quality compounding.PCCA are the leaders in the supply of medically proven ingredients, state of the art laboratory equipment, training and education of Compounding Pharmacists, as well as resources which include over 8,000 proven medication formulasWe know that PCCA membership is a pre-requisite for the serious Professional Compounding Pharmacy!
- Testing and analysing: Our compounding is subjected to rigorous testing by Eagle Analytical, ensuring the highest degree of purity and accuracy.
- Quick Laboratory turn-around time: Depending on the preparation process, our on-site Professional Compounding Laboratory can often have your customized medication ready within 45 minutes.
- Patient care and counselling: We recognize that understanding your medication and compliance with dosage directions are critical in maximising your treatment outcome. Our patients receive caring and comprehensive counselling in the use of their medication by our Professional Pharmacists
- Nutritional support: Adequate levels of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients play an important role in your wellness and optimising your body’s response to your medication. Our Professional Team will give you the necessary advice. We also have an in-house Nutritionist who can advise you on a comprehensive lifestyle and nutritional program.
- Free prescription delivery: If you have a problem getting to us, we deliver free of charge in the Vancouver area.