Men, Women & Children
In our compounding lab, we prepare custom compounds for: bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, acne therapy, skin and hair care, pain therapy, rejuvenation and anti-aging products. We also compound medications that are not commercially available or are not available in the desired strength or dosage form.
For our youngest patients or those with special requirements, we prepare custom medications in small doses, in a variety of flavours, and in a variety of application methods.
Compounding for Life’s Problems
Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy
Kerrisdale Pharmacy compounding pharmacists are meeting the needs of women in perimenopausal and menopausal years through the use of plant-derived, bio-identical hormones. These hormones appeal to patients because they remedy hormonal imbalances with hormones that are identical in molecular structure and function to those produced in the human body.
What are Bio Identical Hormones?
They have the identical chemical structure as the hormones in the human body. The body recognizes them and allows them to mimic the function of the hormones the body produces on its own. This is a significant advantage over the synthetic hormones which are commercially available. Bio Identical hormones can also be adapted specifically to fit each individual’s body and hormone levels.
Applying Bio Identical hormones to the skin.
Bio Identical hormones are absorbed well through the skin.There are several areas of the body which can be used to help achieve optimal absorption. Your physician will determine which area of the body is most suited to your particular condition and circumstances. It is important not to apply to areas of the body where the active medication can easily be transferred to others through physical contact.
The hormone preparation is applied to the selected area and massaged into the skin. Always wash hands thoroughly after application and avoid getting the medication into the eyes. After application, clothing should cover the area to minimise the chances of transferring active medication to others. Always discuss with your physician and follow the prescribed directions.
Hormones can be prepared in a variety of dosage forms including: capsules, topical or vaginal creams, suppositories and sublingual troches or lozenges.
Our hormone compounds include: Estriol, Bi-est (Estriol and Estradiol), Tri-est (Estriol, Estradiol, and Estrone), Progesterone, Testosterone, and DHEA.
Our pharmacists also compound products for acne therapy, skin care, rejuvenation and anti-aging protocols. Some examples of dermatological conditions we compound for are: acne, psoriasis, and eczema.
When pain is an issue, our compounding pharmacists customize medication to assist a variety of conditions including: arthritic joint pain, hemorrhoids and anal fissures, and neuropathic pain. The following are examples of preparations we compound for these conditions:
- Arthritic joint pain or Sports injuries: Medications include anti-inflammatory
pain relieving compounds such as Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, or Ketoprofen gels.
- Neuropathic pain: Compounded creams or gels containing Amitriptyline,
Bupivicaine, Diclofenac, Gabapentin, Ketamine, or Clonidine.
- Hemorrhoids and anal fissures: Ointments and suppositories containing
Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin, Benzocaine, Tetracaine, Lidocaine, Hydrocortisone.
Other areas of therapy
- Pediatric needs: Compounds include medications not commercially available in low pediatric doses or liquid dosage forms. Some of these include: Domperidone liquid, Metoclopromide liquid, Nitrofurantoin liquid, Omeprazole liquid, Ranitidine liquid.
- Men’s health needs: Testosterone creams or gels forTestosterone replacement therapy, Minoxidil solution for hair loss.
- Podiatry needs: Nail anti-fungal agents such as Ciclopirox, Terbinafine, Miconazole nail suspensions, callous and wart treatment pastes containing 25-60% Salicylic acid.
- Dentistry: Chlorhexidine gels, Acyclovir and Lidocaine for cold sores or fever blisters.